San Ramon Valley Genealogical Society
- The society shall hold regular meetings each month except August and December.
- Regular meetings shall be held at 10:00 AM the third Tuesday of each month at the Danville LDS Family History Center on Stone Valley Rd at Smith Rd, Alamo.
- SRVGS Board of Directors meetings shall be held at 10:00 AM on the first Tuesday of each month at a place to be determined by the Board and announced at the previous meeting and the newsletter.
- Changes in place or time require Board approval.
- The mailing address shall be: SRVGS, P.O. Box 305, Diablo, CA 94528
- Dues are due and payable first day of June.
- Board Meeting: old and new officers meet and exchange information and materials, including job descriptions.
- In the July newsletter remind members of dues renewal.
- Complete the audit of Society financial records by July 15.
- Member Handbook started.
- No Board or Regular meetings.
- SRVGS Member Handbook completed. Distribution of the SRVGS Handbook.
- No Board or Regular meetings.
- In Newsletter and at the Regular meeting ask for one or more volunteers to be a member of the Nominating Committee.
- Nominating Committee appointed at the Board Meeting and shall report to the Board monthly.
- Board Meeting: Nominating Committee Chairman presents slate of officer candidates to the Board.
- Treasurer to check on our insurance coverage and report to the Board.
- Regular Meeting: Nominations from the floor.
- Budget Committee meets to plan budget for next year. (Includes outgoing and nominated incoming Treasurer and President.)
- Circulate Membership/dues form at the Regular meeting, via email and mailed newsletter.
- Board Meeting: Review and approve the budget for the coming year.
- Annual Meeting:
- Election of Officers
ii. Present Financial Report
iii. Vote to approve the budget for the coming year.
- Circulate Membership/dues form at Regular meeting, via email and with mailed newsletter.
- Books should be closed and audited by July 15 as per By Laws.
Chairpersons shall be board approved, serve a term of one year and may be reappointed an unlimited number of terms.
- Hospitality Committee shall provide snacks and beverages at meetings; funds are to come from member donations and do not need to be audited.
- Publicity and Outreach Committee shall send area newspapers and community access TV stations details about upcoming programs and seek ways to provide the society with greater exposure and interaction with surrounding communities.
- General Education Chairperson shall plan and schedule educational classes and provide educational information at meetings and for the newsletter.
- Historian shall:
a. Take photographs representing activities of the society.
b. Maintain scrapbook(s) or digital records of photographs, clippings etc. that portray the history of the society and its members.
c. Make the scrapbooks or digital records available to members.
d. Contribute content to the website.
- Newsletter Editor shall be in charge of the Society publication. Book Review and Program Reporters also write articles for the newsletter.
- Newsletter Publication/Distribution Committee has charge of the hardcopy printing and mailing. May, June, and July newsletters include the dues notice.
- Webmaster shall maintain the Society’s website.
- Mini-Ed Chairperson shall select speakers for the Regular meeting for the time that is available after the business meeting and before the break.
- Membership Liaison Chairperson shall greet and welcome new members and guests and introduce them at the Regular meetings. The Chairperson shall accompany them at social breaks and inform them of the society’s resources. The Corresponding Secretary shall send the new member a welcoming letter and the new member shall be introduced in the newsletter in a timely manner. The Membership Liaison Chairperson shall assist the 3rd Vice President Membership when needed.
- Auditor shall receive the Society’s financial records from the Treasurer in early June. The records of the previous 12 months shall be carefully examined for accuracy. Any errors will be corrected and any faulty procedures will be revised. The audit should be completed by July 15.
- Email Forwarder will aggregate information of interest to society members and frequently (perhaps twice a month) email this to all members who have requested to receive the email.
This should include timely announcements or reminders of meetings as well as any genealogicalitems that are of general interest. The Email Forwarder will also disseminate the monthly newsletter to those who have chosen to receive it via email.
- Family History Center Liaison will coordinate any of the society’s activities within the Family History Center and will, when requested, inform the members of the society on the capabilities of the Center and how to use them.
- Special Interest Groups (SIG) Coordinator shall encourage the formation and promotion of Special Interest Groups whenever there is sufficient member interest.
- Newsletter Program Reporter shall prepare a summation of the previous program speaker’s presentation for publication in the following month’s newsletter.
- Budget and Expenditures
- Treasurer shall prepare the annual budget for Board approval. The Budget Committee (includes outgoing and nominated incoming Treasurer and outgoing and nominated incoming President) meet in April to review the budget. The budget is presented to the Board at the May Board meeting for approval.
- The budget is presented at the Annual Meeting in May and voted on by membership.
- Non-budgeted expenses must have Board approval.
- Program speakers may be given an honorarium.
- A Special Projects Fund shall be maintained with revenue from society sales and fund raising and used for non-budgeted expenses as approved by the Board.
- Classes of Membership and Dues
- Annual Individual dues shall be $20.00. New members joining after January 1 until Feb 28 shall pay dues of $10.00. Dues collected after Feb 28 shall be applied to the next year’s dues.
- Annual Family dues shall be $25.00. New family members joining after January 1 until Feb 28 shall pay dues of $15.00. Dues collected after Feb 28 shall be applied to the next year’s dues.
- Regular meetings are open to non-members or guests.
- The Society Newsletter shall be known as the “San Ramon Valley Genealogical Society Newsletter”. Members may choose to receive the newsletter by email rather than by hard copy.
- The newsletter shall be published monthly, except August and December.
- The newsletter shall contain only as many pages as can be sent under one ounce of postage unless approved by the Board.
- No paid advertisements shall be printed in the newsletter.
- The newsletter shall be mailed first class to all members paying for USPS mailing. It shall be mailed so to be received a week prior to the Regular meeting.
- The newsletter may be mailed (or emailed, if acceptable to the recipient) to area libraries and exchanged with other societies subject to annual review by the Board.
- Single complimentary copies may be provided to prospective members.
- Society Handbook
- The Membership Chairperson (3rd Vice President) shall be the Handbook Editor.
- Contents: (Listed in order as appears in Handbook)
- Lists of Board of Directors, Committee Chairpersons & Special Interest Group Chairpersons.
- Roster of members, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses.
- List of area libraries with genealogical holdings.
- List of books in the SRVGS collection at the Danville Library.
- The Handbook shall be printed annually after the membership drive and be ready for distribution at the September meeting.
- The Handbook is intended for the use of SRVGS members only and a statement to this effect shall be included.
- The Handbook shall be mailed to members residing outside the Bay Area. Local members may pay postage and have the Handbook mailed upon request.
- Nominating Committee
- The Nominating Committee shall consist of at least three members, one of whom should be a Board member and at least one volunteer from the membership. It is recommended that the First Vice President, Third Vice President (Membership) and Parliamentarian be included.
- The Nominating Committee shall meet in January and report to the Board monthly. The Chair of the Nominating Committee shall present the names of candidates to the membership and place the names in nomination at the Regular meeting in April. Additional names may be nominated from the floor at the April meeting. The names of those nominated shall be given to the Newsletter Editor for inclusion in the May Newsletter.
- The Nominating Committee may recommend Committee Chairpersons for Board approval.
- Library Committee
- The committee shall consist of three members, one of whom should be a Board member, with the approval of the Board.
- Meet as needed with a minimum of twice a year.
- Establish guidelines for the acquisition of publications or books for the SRVGS collection housed in the Danville Library.
- Draw up and maintain a prioritized list of publications to be acquired.
- Provide a copy of this list to the Danville Library and SRVGS membership along with regular updates.
- Society Web Page
- The SRVGS website is www.srvgensoc.org
- The Webmaster will maintain the Society’s website.
- The Webmaster can appoint assistants to help perform these duties.
- At each Board meeting ideas will be solicited regarding ways to expand and improve the site in ways that will be beneficial to the society.
- The Webmaster will work with outside companies that maintain the Society’s URL and provide the servers to host the site.
M. Standing Rules Statement
Changes to the Standing Rules can be made by the Board as needed or necessary.
Standing Rules relate to administrative details and take a majority vote of the Board to adopt.
Revised: July 5, 2017